Monday, July 24, 2017

Upcycling Latest Finds!

Monday's mail was a lot of items, I wanted and needed to see if I could upcycle?! I received some fabric fur for a project, I've been wanting to try... I also got two vintage pin cushion chairs made in Japan.

They arrived to me below, with rust, faded fabric, and dirty, faded flowers...
 Before and after, I basically, took out the pin cushion, sanded the chairs, and spray painted them. I wasn't sure at first, what to do with the pin cushion part? Whether to replace the fabric, or just paint it, etc.

 So, I decided to try felt material for one, and painted the cushion of the other...
I replaced the flowers with paper flowers I bought some time ago. I had some rik rak in red and pink and replaced the old ones. I think they turned out okay. I may add them to my shop?

I received this lovely hot pink faux fur fabric from this lovely shop on etsy! A project that had been on hold, was making my own furry figurine! Now, I finally could! Yippee!
 To explain, similar furry figurines are very sought after, and every time I try to find a particular one, they are long gone. So, why not make my own... and now, I have!
 I had a cute puppy figurine from a trade, and since he was a loner, I decided, to use him to make into my very own furry figurine pet. He's not a coin bank, so he will be smaller and that's okay too.
I've seen a fellow collector make one herself, and figure it wouldn't hurt to try... It was long, and tedious, you have to get all the swatches to match up, and that can be hard. I also added, a blue polka dotted bow, to bring out her eye shadow. But, afterwards, see her finished and being able to play with her furry hair, is actually quite therapeutic. Ha.

Then, I also receive a long anticipated cutie. I had seen her on a fellow collector's photo, though IG. I asked her about her doll, but she never told me the doll's name. The excuse was, that the doll was in storage and it would be awhile before she could tell me anything. That was a few months ago. So, while searching for other dolls, the very same doll popped up, and mint in box too. Sadly, the doll had markings all over her. So, I searched for a loose one, and found gal on etsy. The seller was really sweet and shipped her asap. Vintage 1964, Eppy Toys, Color Me Carol Doll. She is supposed to some with special type of crayons you can use to color her with. You can change her eyes, dress, hair color, etc. I like the plain dolls, a bit creepy, but in a cool way. She stands about 13 inches tall, and her head, and arms are movable.

  As for the collector I spoke of earlier, I can understand, why she didn't want to share the doll's name. There is a stigma, that some collectors out there have... a fear, that other collectors will go and find the very same dolls, and cause the prices of these dolls to sky rocket or buy up all the dolls and keep them for themselves, leaving the rest of us without one.

But, from all of my years of collecting, others will find a doll either way, and eventually the cost will go up, because of the popularity of a doll. So, I may as well share, what I find, and hope that I'm able to help a fellow collector get their dream doll. The feeling of doing good, out weighs being selfish.


This cutie, has such a sweet face, I had to adopt her. She is a vintage Hong Kong Yes/No doll. I found also through etsy.

 For now, she will live with my other dolls...

 Carol is fitting in nicely...

Last, I got these lovely nursery animal pennants from etsy shop here. I just need to figure out where to put it up now... Haha.

Thank you for stopping by! ~ ggsdolls

No comments:

Post a Comment